Thursday, April 5, 2007

The wheels on the bus go round and round...

Due to some really stupid choices made a few weeks ago, I am now a public transportation user. Yep...I ride the bus. And I have decided to regal you with stories of some of the people I have met on the bus but before I can do that, I HAVE to tell you my all-time favorite bus story...

Background: I have a potter friend from Japan -- Akiko -- who visits me every year for a few months. She works in my studio creating to coolest stuff and stays either with me or at least near me as she doesnt know how to drive. We have alot of time to spend together in the car to and from the studio and home. I swear this is a true conversation that we had one night... it will no doubt lose a bit being typed out but still.....

Me: So what do you do for fun in Japan?
Akiko: Lots of things....sometimes the public bus.
Me: Bus? What do you mean?
Akiko: Well its something that the older people like...the younger people dont like it as much.
Me: They dont like the public bus? Why?
Akiko: They don't like the naked people.
Me: What? There are naked people? Naked OLD people?
Akiko: Yes.
Me: Where does the bus go?
Akiko: It doesnt go anywhere. (She is looking at me now like I have 2 heads)
Me: Ooookayyy.... There are old naked Japanese people on a public bus and it doesnt go anywhere?
Akiko: Right. It doesnt go. People are there for a holiday.
(At this point I am thinking that the Japanese are waaayyy easily entertained. I, of course, cant get the image out of my head...erase ERASE!)
Me: But not the young people?
Akiko: No. Only the old people. I enjoy very much the public bus.
Me: With the old naked people?
Akiko: Yes. Do you have public bus here?
Me: Yes we do but you have to wear your clothes on the bus!
Akiko: Clothes? Why?
Me: You'll be arrested if you are naked on a bus! (Now who has 2 heads?)
She shakes her head as though this is the stupidest American custom that she has come across to date. At this point, a public bus actually passes me on the road.
Me: See? I cant imagine THAT guy naked on the bus! I say as I point to one of the guys we can see through the window.
Akiko: Is he going to the bus?
Me: That IS a bus.
Akiko: What?
Me: THAT IS a public bus.
At this point a lightbulb (or Japanes lantern) goes off -- she gets it and busts out laughing. She gets her handheld electronic dictionary out and types something and shows me the screen. Public Bath. I laughed so hard I almost wrecked my car....

No comments: