Thursday, April 12, 2007

Romance on Valentines Day

So I "met" a guy on MySpace named Johnny (at what age do grown men drop the "eee"?) who said he hoped mail from strangers didn't creep me out (which it kinda does) and he wanted to take me to dinner. Well, I do eat and he didn't look too much like an axe murder in his picture but you never know about these things so I visited his MySpace page...looking for some sort of flashing "I'M AN AXE MURDERER" sign there. I read his bio and his blog and came across a rant he had about Valentine's Day. I ranted back (of course).

So..without further ado...my seasonally well-timed Valentine's Day rant...

**************
Valentines Day has as much to do with romance as Sunday services have to do with religion & faith. Absolutely nothing!

Romance is kissing your partner on the top of her little head when she is in flannel Winnie the Pooh pajamas and her nose is all red from blowing it and telling her that you think she is beautiful (...and her believing you mean it).

Romance is remembering that her favourite poet is Brian Andreas and picking up one of his books in the store for her even if you don't remember that you bought the same thing for her the year before (...and then her saying that's sweet and not pointing out that she owns it already).

Flowers are romantic if they arrive simply because its Tuesday... candy if it's that time of the month and it comes with a sympathetic back rub... and a random mid-day email that says "Whatcha doing gorgeous?" is better than donating $3.50 to the Church of Hallmark any day.

Romance is a state of mind...a two way street...full of pedestrians with umbrellas and street maps they drew on cocktail napkins (okay that last part was mostly nonsensical but I thought this rant was getting a bit heavy.)

(Note: The preceding opinion is worth what you paid for it...)

************************

I should note that I haven't heard from him since....

No comments: