Friday, April 6, 2007

Used Puppies


My "sucess letter" to the SPCA:

I had lost my Rottweiler, Brita, last October and was finally ready to get another dog. My daughter Nikki was home from college for the Christmas break so we had decided to see a breeder about getting a rott pup. I had the names and addresses of 3 breeders in my pocket, as a matter of fact, when I picked Nik up from an appointment near the Peninsula SPCA. We had some time to kill so we decided to stop and get some dog treats to feed the pound pups. Armed with cookies and chewies, we went from cage to cage, ignored signs (surely they weren't directed at US?) and stuck our hands through the bars and petted and fed the pups. We talked about how much fun it was going to be to pick out our own pup the next day.

..And then we saw HIM. He was laying with his back to the front of the cage & didnt look up to see us. I poked him. He was a beautiful colour. He didnt care that I poked him, so, of course, I poked him again. My daughter pointed out that his papers said he was a rott mix. Mixed with what? Something brown?

Nik said something to him and he turned his head to look at her. "Oh mom! Look how handsome he is!" Apparently he thought she was pretty too because he finally got up and paid attention to us. He was skinny and his ribs showed. His coat was dull but his eyes were full of hope and trust. He licked Nik's hand and then looked at me. I melted. Surely someone could not have dropped him off at a grocery store like his paperwork said? And certainly someone would be along soon to adopt him. I was just there to spread a little holiday cheer and doggie treats. I was getting a new puppy...not a used puppy. But he just kept looking at me...and somehow I knew that if I rescued this dog...he would rescue me right back.

I never did make it to the breeder's. On his adoption day, I was the only name on the list. I have no idea how that was even possible unless he wore his invisibility cloak when I wasnt there. I had the wrong paperwork that day, of course, and so the process took HOURS! Patience is a virtue...just not one of mine. All of this...for a dog no one wanted? I bit my tongue. I filled out new forms. I waited quasi-patiently.

Marley (named after Jacob not Bob) has been home now for 3 months. He weighed 35lbs when we got him -- he weighs about 60lbs now. He will sit. He will stay. He is fearless. He will not come when he is called though he loves to hear his name. He is the fastest dog I have ever seen and cannot be caught with out a decent bribe. He is an explorer. Last week he discovered the ocean and defended the planet from dry seaweed. Yesterday he ate a book on the coffee table (wasnt a fan of the Sweet Potato Queens apparently) and the day before he unwrapped a paint roller that I had on the counter and got white paint all over his paws and all over my hardwood floors. He is a handful...and a heartful. I love him and Im so grateful that we had time to kill that day.

Sincerely,
Marley's new mom,
Patti Brassard

Note to my dear reader(s): Used puppies are the bomb (does anyone still say that?). They are grateful for a new start and are absolutely, unconditionally loveable. New puppies are adorable and fluffy and cute. Used puppies are a harder sell but once there is one living on your couch, you'll see that I was right...they will save you right back...

No comments: