Wednesday, October 3, 2007

October is Adopt-aShelter Dog Month


This is a re-edited, updated version of the post I wrote when I first got Marley, my shelter dog, back in Dec 2006. I just wanted to remind everyone that sometimes the best, most grateful, loving creatures are just waiting for you to find them...

I had lost my AKC Rottweiler, Brita, last October and was finally ready to get another dog. My daughter, Nikki, was home from college for the Christmas break so we had decided to see a breeder about getting a rott pup. I had the names and addresses of 3 breeders in my pocket, as a matter of fact, when I picked Nik up from an appointment near the Peninsula SPCA. We had some time before we had to be anywhere so we decided to stop and get some dog treats to feed the pound pups. Armed with cookies and chewies, we went from cage to cage, ignored signs (surely they weren't directed at US?) and stuck our hands through the bars and petted and fed the pups. We talked about how much fun it was going to be to pick out our own pup the next day.

..And then we saw HIM. He was laying with his back to the front of the cage & didn't look up to see us. I poked him. He was a beautiful colour. He didn't care that I poked him, so, of course, I poked him again. My daughter pointed out that his papers said he was a rott mix. Mixed with what? Something brown?

Nik said something to him and he turned his head to look at her. "Oh mom! Look how handsome he is!" Apparently he thought she was pretty too because he finally got up and paid attention to us. He was skinny and his ribs showed. His coat was dull but his eyes were full of hope and trust. He licked Nik's hand and then looked at me. I melted. Surely someone could not have dropped him off at a grocery store like his paperwork said? And certainly someone would be along soon to adopt him. I was just there to spread a little holiday cheer and doggie treats. I was getting a new puppy...not a used puppy. But he just kept looking at me...and somehow I knew that if I rescued this dog...he would rescue me right back.

I never did make it to see any of the breeders. On his adoption day, I was the only name on the list. I have no idea how that was even possible unless he wore his invisibility cloak when I wasn't there. I had the wrong paperwork that day, of course, and so the process took HOURS! Patience is a virtue...just not one of mine. All of this...for a dog no one wanted? I bit my tongue. I filled out new forms. I waited quasi-patiently.

Marley (named after Jacob not Bob) has been home now for 10 months. He weighed 35lbs when we got him -- he weighs about 75lbs now. He will sit. He will stay. He is fearless. He still will not come when he is called though he loves to hear his name. He is the fastest dog I have ever seen and cannot be caught with out a decent bribe. He is an explorer. This summer he discovered the ocean and defended the planet from dry seaweed. A few months ago he ate a book on the coffee table and the day before that he unwrapped a paint roller that I had on the counter and got white paint all over his paws and all over my hardwood floors. His latest reign of terror is to de-stuff throw pillows which he does when ever he sees me leave with my suitcase. He is a handful...and a heartful.

I should remind you that I am single, work 2 jobs to make ends meet and live in a small apartment. Marley doesn't seem to mind. It is larger than the cage I found him in. I have to get up a little earlier everyday for a long walk before work, and I try to take him for car rides when I can squeeze them in during the day. When I have to work longer days, I have friends drop by to let him out and toss him a treat. I'm tired when I finally get home but its now HIS/OUR time and we take a walk again. It is more than my RESPONSIBILITY, it is my PRIVILEGE.

In the grand scheme of things, not much beats that dog asleep on my feet at the end of the day. Adopt a shelter dog... it doesn't just change THEIR lives...it will change YOUR life...

1 comment:

Lorrie Veasey said...

why haven't you been posting on your blog?