Friday, June 1, 2007

Stopping to smell the flowers...


I am a big fan of the stopping to smell the flowers theory. Always have been. I use it to disguise the fact that I am not punctual... "Sorry I'm late...stopped to smell the flowers...". People seem okay with that -- although most people don't believe it and just start lying to me about start times which is probably easier in most situations. Today, however, there was stopping involved, and flowers but sniffing was not really an option....

I was walking my used pup, Marley (who is bigger and dumber than in earlier posts) when we stopped to see a whole field of flowers drawn on the sidewalk with chalk. They were quite lovely and made me smile! Made me want to go get out my set of sidewalk chalks myself (oh, you know I have 'em!). I'm no florist or horticulturist or whatever you call people who know about flowers but being able to identify the various species was unimportant. It was about the stopping so stop we did. I tiptoed through the tulips and daisies or whatever they were, careful not to smudge the petunias. It was delightful.

In all fairness, Marley did do a lot of sniffing on that walk so it was not entirely sniff-free but the point is there was stopping...and there were flowers....and I was late for work.

No comments: